Senior Systems/Network Administrator
Responsible for the technical design, planning, implementation, and the highest level of performance tuning and recovery procedures for mission critical enterprise systems. Serves as a technical expert in the area of system administration, network operation, and storage and backup. Recommends the redesign and configuration of operating systems and system applications. Investigates and analyzes feasibility of system requirements and develops system specifications. Identifies methods, solutions, and provides project leadership in order to provide a high level of service to the customers of the department. Mentors and assists Junior System Administrators with their daily tasks and future growth.
Typical Duties and Responsibilities
- Manages the day-to-day operations of the RTT host computers by monitoring system performance, configuration, maintenance and repair.
- Ensure maximum uptime of computerized technologies and security of data and systems. Ensures that records of system downtime and equipment inventory are properly maintained.
- Manage Active Directory environment and Network print servers / devices Provide user support and training with above technologies. Applies revisions to host system firmware and software.
- Assist with installation, maintenance, documentation, and administration of computerized technologies including WAN, LAN, VPN, Wireless, data storage and backup, servers, personal computers, telephone, and audio-visual systems
- Proactively develop and present new technologies to improve efficiencies or profitability. Develops new system and application implementation plans, custom scripts and testing procedures to ensure operational reliability. Trains technical staff in how to use new software and hardware developed and/or acquired.
- May guide or provide work direction to technical staff.
- Performs troubleshooting as required. As such, leads problem-solving efforts often involving outside vendors and other support personnel and/or organizations and RTT departments.
- Establishes, maintains and manages user accounts. Installs, modifies and maintains systems and utility software on server computer systems. Provides server support related to other software.
- Establishes guidelines and methods for the installation and management of the host computer operating systems, disk arrays, fiber channel switches, tape libraries and other components.
- Ensures high availability and acceptable levels of performance of mission critical host computer resources.
- Develops procedures to maintain security and protect systems from unauthorized use, acts of nature and user abuse.
- Develops procedures, programs and documentation for backup and restoration of host operating systems and host-based applications.
- Develops and coordinates project directions and schedules to maximize benefits and minimize impacts on the customer organizations. Provides leadership in planning and implementation of projects for computer operations and enterprise systems administration.
- Develops tools, procedures, and training sessions as needed.
- Works with vendors to assist support activities.
- Stays current with technological developments in systems administration technology and recommends ways for PCC to take advantage of new technology.
- Positions in this classification may perform all or some of the responsibilities above and all positions perform other related duties as assigned.
- 10-15 years total combined Network and Systems experience Active Directory experience
- Experience loading applications
- Ability to work off hours
- Customer service and team oriented attitude required. Clear written and oral communication.
- 3 years’ work experience in complex systems design, programming and systems software and support.
- Knowledge of: Programming languages and operating systems; current equipment and technologies in use; Unix system administration, enterprise backup and recovery procedures, and system performance monitoring tools; effective project management techniques; principles and practices of effective management and supervision.
- Ability to: Plan, organize and document complex system design activities and to configure systems to be consistent with institutional policies/procedures; communicate technical/complex information both verbally and in writing; establish and maintain cooperation, understanding, trust and credibility; perform multiple tasks concurrently and respond to emergency situations effectively.
Work Environment and Physical Requirements
- Work environment includes typical computer related noise levels and paper and equipment generated dust.
- Exposure to video display terminals occurs on a regular basis.
- Incumbent is on call to provide support services during off hours. Scheduled night and weekend work is required.
- Learned physical skill is required for keyboarding and use of peripheral equipment.
- Moderate lifting.
- Applicants must be currently authorized to work in the United States on a full-time basis and not violate any immigration or discrimination laws.
- RTT provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to age, race, color, creed, religion, sex, national origin, age, citizenship, disability, veteran status, or any other protected status.